La Pietra - Hawaii School for Girls anticipates openings for the following positions for the 2019-20 school year:
• Middle and High school Science, full-time
• Middle and High school Math, full-time
• Middle and High school English, part-time
• Women’s and Gender studies, part-time
• Middle school Social Studies (currently 0.75 FTE)
• Yearbook advisor (currently 0.25 FTE)
Founded in 1964, La Pietra – Hawaii School for Girls is an independent, secular day school enrolling approximately 160 girls in grades 6-12. The campus is located in Honolulu, Hawai‘i on the grounds of an estate modeled after an Italian villa, at the foot of Diamond Head state monument, and approximately one-quarter mile from Waikiki beaches. The school has recently begun the process of refining its academic and extra-curricular program to incorporate the notion of ‘educating for purpose,’ keeping the student experience as the primary metric of success. To that end, the school is incorporating the RULER socio-emotional learning program, and is a member of the Mastery Transcript Consortium, as well as an affiliate member of Research Schools International.
The ideal candidate will hold a degree in the specified subject area(s) or a related area, and have teaching experience with middle and/or high school students, preferably in an independent school. Full-time positions consist of a teaching load of three sections per term on a 4x4 block schedule, responsibility for homeroom oversight, and involvement in extra-curricular and co-curricular activities.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in subject area, Education, or related field
• Evidence demonstrating a successful track record of teaching in any grade level from 6-12, with willingness to teach both middle school and high school grade levels
• Evidence demonstrating contributions to a school environment beyond classroom instruction
• Evidence demonstrating a successful track record as a positive, charismatic adult presence in the lives of young people, with an awareness of the role boundaries of teacher, parent, and student
• Evidence demonstrating a successful track record as a positive, productive colleague in working with other adults in a school setting
• Understanding and appreciation of the culture, history, and diversity of Hawai‘i
• Understanding and appreciation of single-gender school contexts
• A personal demeanor that demonstrates empathy, industriousness, and kindness
• Physical presence and ability to begin working in Hawai‘i on or before July 29, 2019
• Advanced degree in subject area, Education, or related field
• Evidence of a successful track record of teaching in both middle and high school grade levels
• Previous experience in an all-girls independent school environment
• Previous experience as a leader of a school club or team, (e.g. Science Olympiad, National Honor Society)
• Evidence demonstrating additional expertise in any of the following fields: general educational research; learning neuroscience; educational psychology; curriculum and instruction; diversity, equity, and inclusion; educational technology implementation; or career experience in an area unrelated to teaching that enriches instructional practice
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and an employment application from the school’s website www.lapietra.edu/about/employment-opportunities to Dawn Ijiri, Executive Assistant, via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or via postal mail to: 2933 Poni Moi Rd., Honolulu, HI 96815.