Spalding University strives for excellence in teaching and learning. We are a student-centered institution committed to fostering a community that supports and recognizes the value of diversity. The Math Lab Coordinator will oversee the delivery of services & instruction to students in the Mathematics. This includes coordinating resources and services, student events that support outreach and retention, and oversight of tutoring and supplemental instruction. Spalding seeks candidates who have a deep commitment to and understanding of the rewards and challenges of working with students. We particularly welcome those who will be active participants in our small but thriving community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Directs, manages and provides all support for the Math Lab. Responsible for staffing the Math Lab during all hours of operation and serves as a tutor for all mathematics courses and medical math for the School of Nursing. Has responsibility for maintaining a student-friendly staff and learning environment for a diverse student population.
· Serves as an instructor for the Mathematics department each academic year. Instructs as many as 7 course sections per academic year. Responsibilities include teaching face-to-face and online classes, assigns course grades and administers student course evaluations. Attends department meetings and represents the Math Lab at student functions. Acts as a liaison for the Math Lab resources to faculty and Student Support Services.
· Develops strategic planning and resource development for the retention mission of students. Provides accurate record keeping for all services, programs or events occurring in the Math Lab each academic year. Prepares statistical reports showing the effectiveness of the Math Lab.
· Prepares goals and provides outcome analysis for University Annual Report. Provides documentation and reports on the productivity of the Math Lab for annual assessment of services and programs related to the Math Lab.
· Performs administrative tasks for the Math Lab budget. Estimates costs and supervises payroll records of employees. Maintains the physical space of the Math Lab.
· Schedules math placement testing appointments and administers the Accuplacer math exams. Enters the test score in Colleague with appropriate math course recommendations. Whenever The College Board recommends it, the Math Lab Coordinator redesigns the Accuplacer exam parameters. Develops and maintains resources for standard test preparation (TEAS, PRAXIS, etc.).
· Develops marketing materials to distribute to students. Manages the Math Lab portal website and provides updated schedules for each session during the academic year.
· Laboratory equipment, software, materials, supplies and procedures as used in a math laboratory.
· Basic teaching and learning theories, principles and practices of tutoring.
· Principles, practices, and applications of mathematics material at the level of the courses taught in the District.
· Modern software applications (Microsoft Office Suite, etc.).
· Methods of gathering and presenting general statistical data.
· Perform a variety of instructional assistance, tutoring, and related support functions in mathematics.
· Assist students in understanding the basic fundamentals of mathematics.
· Operate, set up, troubleshoot, and demonstrate the use of computer and other equipment in the laboratory.
· Analyze laboratory procedures and make constructive suggestions for improvement.
· Develop and maintain record keeping systems for the laboratory.
· Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
· Organize, coordinate, supervise and schedule a variety of laboratory activities.
· Establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the course of required duties.
· Prepare clear, concise, and complete reports using standardized practices.
· Demonstrate understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, mental or physical disability, and religious background of all students, faculty and staff, and with all individuals encountered in the performance of required duties.
Experience and Training
· Two (2) years of responsible experience in the operation and maintenance of a laboratory, or assisting a college instructor in mathematics.
Education/License or Certificate
· MANDATORY: Bachelor’s degree in Math or similar degree, such as B.S. in Engineering. Experience teaching and/or tutoring in K-12 or a Community College setting. Willingness to become a certified tutor trainer. Able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Able to work independently to meet deadlines
· PREFERRED: Master’s degree in Math or similar degree.
About Spalding University
Nestled in the midst of Kentucky’s largest city, historic Spalding University combines a rich history and a commitment to community service as we attract students who desire a high quality education in a very personalized setting. An engaged faculty serves nearly 2500 students at the bachelors’, masters and doctoral levels, providing quality, real-world learning in liberal and professional studies. Faculty, staff and students are united by the institutional mission: Spalding University is a diverse community of learners dedicated to meeting the needs of the times in the tradition of the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth through quality undergraduate and graduate liberal and professional studies, grounded in spiritual values, with emphasis on service and the promotion of peace and justice. With a focus on community service and leadership, Spalding offers all students a mission-driven connection to community and comprehensive learning resources while striking a distinctive balance serving the educational needs of both the traditional student and the working adult. In addition, our unique 6-week session delivery format affords students needed scheduling flexibility amidst other life resp...onsibilities. Spalding University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. The University complies with all federal, state and local equal employment opportunity laws. It is the University’s policy not to discriminate against any individual or group of individuals and to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, military status, veteran status or other protected status. All job offers are contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment drug screening as well as a criminal background check.