The Math Specialist reports directly to the Head of Lower School and is an integral member of the K – 8 Learning Support Team.
A Bachelor’s degree is required; graduate degree preferred.
Candidates must have a minimum of three years relevant experience teaching math in elementary grades.
Familiarity with Bridges and Contexts for Learning curricula is a plus. In support of The Cathedral School's mission, the Math Specialist must be prepared to view curriculum and classroom and school culture through a lens focused on equity and justice. A nurturing and caring personality is essential.
• Identify students in need of additional learning support or extension in mathematics through observation, teacher consultation, and both formative and summative assessments.
• Plan and implement small group guided instruction.
• Arrange a regular teaching schedule in all classrooms from K – 3.
• Attend Grade Level Meetings for grades K, 1, 2, and 3.
• Coordinate ways to implement recommendations suggested in outside psycho- educational assessments.
• Attend regular planning meetings with classroom teachers to discuss curriculum issues and strategies.
• Be available for teacher consultation on an as-needed basis.
• Review curriculum and assessment measures regularly; provide curricular resources to teachers.
• Review the scope and sequence for K – 3 math.
• Attend parent/teacher conferences twice yearly.
• Write comments twice yearly for students receiving extra support from the Math Specialist.
Parent Communication (continued):
• Be proactive and consistent in parent communication.
• Maintain contact with students’ tutors and outside learning support specialists.
• Lead Family Math Breakfasts and grade level Math Chats in collaboration with grade level teachers.
• Meet with prospective students to assess skill levels and make recommendations to the Director of Enrollment Management based upon known academic requirements.
• Participate, as needed, in morning and evening Admission events
Interested candidates please submit a letter of interest and resume to Laura Higgins, Lower School Head, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About The Cathedral School
The Cathedral School of St. John the Divine is an independent, Episcopal, K-8 day school for girls and boys of all faiths. The School is committed to a rigorous academic program that integrates the arts, athletics, and leadership development. Located on New York City’s Upper West Side on the 11.5-acre Close of the Cathedral, the School offers a unique setting for the celebration of the many traditions shared by its families. The School prides itself in being a diverse community in partnership with families who take an active role in their children’s intellectual, ethical, social, and emotional growth. The Cathedral School offers a stimulating environment in which each child can become an articulate, confident, and responsible citizen of the world. Continuing a century-old relationship, the School draws upon the Cathedral’s vast resources and provides its children’s choir.